Monday, January 17, 2011

Not Your Grandmother's Crafts

crochet antlers

One of my favorite trends in hand crafts and art is the idea of combining "old fashioned grandma crafts" with modern art. I like the contrast of modern ideas with older traditions to create something unique and beautiful.  Joana Vasconcelos is one of my favorite modern artists of all time.  A whole article about her work is to come later. One of her recent interesting exhibitions included, many crochet lace dressed animals. The little button eyes on the crab are so precious with tea stained vintage lace over deep red. Who knows, maybe I would  pin this to my shoulder over a strapless gown for a special event?

Picture 31_0.preview (1)

This tree looks cozy in a gown of grey lace from Lula's blog...
c40eabd2a96239c8b179bf84ea3c242482de2471

Crochet rocks by Knitalette on their Etsy site Resurrection Fern, made with rocks and handmade crochet and knit doilies. This would make a lovely wedding gift. 
il_fullxfull.162698815


crochet-stones-by-knitalatte

A Crochet chair from an furniture exhibit I found on David Byrne's website blog. Love it!
12_08_06_e_crochet_chair

No comments:

Post a Comment